The financial crisis wasn’t separate from the psychological injury and regulatory failure.
It became part of it.
By early July 2022, I wasn’t only waiting for regulators to enforce compliance on a statutory workers compensation scheme that should have protected me. I was simultaneously trying to stop my financial life from collapsing.
Every day brought another deadline.
Another extension.
Another form.
Another signature.
Another reminder that none of this should have been necessary.
⸻
On 1 July 2022, I forwarded updated legal correspondence to my bank regarding the purchase of my home.
I explained simply:
“You’ll need this updated information now given a negotiated settlement extension while we wait for Melbourne settlement.”
That one sentence concealed enormous pressure.
The purchase of my home was now dependent on selling my investment property.
That sale was itself being delayed.
Meanwhile, settlement dates were shifting, finance approvals were hanging in the balance, and everyone involved was waiting on everyone else.
The documents reveal something else.
The vendor’s solicitors confirmed that:
- my 10% deposit,
- plus an additional $58,000,
would be released unconditionally, while default interest would continue accruing from the original completion date.
Every delay had a financial consequence.
Every day cost money.
⸻
On the same day, I forwarded the same update to my real estate agent.
There was no celebration.
No excitement about buying a home.
Just relief that everyone was still trying to keep the transaction alive.
Sometimes survival doesn’t look dramatic.
Sometimes it looks like sending yet another email saying:
“Thank you guys.”
Behind those three words was someone desperately trying to hold together an increasingly impossible situation.
⸻
Then came more banking requirements.
Another document.
Another appointment.
Another administrative hurdle.
Another reminder that life continues demanding paperwork even when you’re barely surviving emotionally.
⸻
The waiting continued.
On 8 July 2022, I reluctantly approved yet another extension for the purchaser of my investment property.
I wrote:
“I approve the extension for the buyer to finalise subject to finance process… until COB Tuesday 12 July 2022.”
Again.
More waiting.
More uncertainty.
More delay.
Because until that property settled, everything else remained at risk.
⸻
What strikes me isn’t simply the volume of paperwork. It’s the impossible contradiction.
I was expected to manage property settlements worth hundreds of thousands of dollars…
- Negotiate with banks…
- Meet legal deadlines…
- Complete identity verification…
- Coordinate solicitors…
- Manage real estate agents…
…all while a statutory workers compensation scheme had failed to provide the very income protection it was legally established to provide.
The insurer hadn’t implemented the Injury Management Plan.
Weekly compensation payments hadn’t been established.
My leave entitlements continued disappearing instead.
The financial pressure wasn’t the result of poor decisions.
It was the predictable consequence of a statutory system failing to function.
⸻
Financial loss doesn’t happen all at once.
It arrives email by email.
Extension by extension.
Interest charge by interest charge.
Form by form.
Signature by signature.
Eventually, one day you realise you’re no longer living your life.
You’re trying to stop it from collapsing.
And that’s exactly where I found myself in July 2022.
⸻
This post forms part of my documenting the parallel crises that unfolded while I waited for regulators, my employer, and Catholic Church Insurance to comply with their statutory obligations. The evidence shows that as those obligations went unmet, the consequences spread far beyond my health—into my home, my finances, and every aspect of daily life.
Source: contemporaneous record of events - Documents 486-490.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.