26–28 June 2022
By late June 2022, my life had become two crises unfolding simultaneously.
One was visible in the endless letters to regulators, pleading for someone to enforce the legal obligations that should have protected an injured worker years earlier.
The other was happening quietly, behind the scenes, as I fought to stop my financial life from collapsing.
The two were never separate.
One caused the other.
Because the workers compensation system had failed to provide income support, failed to enforce return-to-work obligations and failed to intervene when compliance repeatedly broke down, the financial consequences spread far beyond my workplace.
They reached my home.
My investments.
My future.
These emails from 26–28 June 2022 capture that reality in real time.
They’re not property documents.
They’re evidence of what regulatory failure looks like when it spills into every corner of someone’s life.
⸻
Every day became crisis management
By this point, I had become the coordinator of my own survival.
While psychologically injured, I was simultaneously trying to coordinate:
- solicitors;
- mortgage consultants;
- real estate agents;
- settlement documentation;
- trust account transfers;
- mortgage security arrangements;
- and increasingly urgent financial deadlines.
The irony wasn’t lost on me.
The workers compensation system had case managers.
Yet I had effectively become my own.
⸻
A home that had to be saved at any cost
Only days earlier I had explored every possible option to keep my home.
I had even considered bringing my brother into the purchase to prevent losing it altogether.
But circumstances changed.
Instead, I accepted a significantly reduced offer on my Melbourne investment property because speed mattered more than value.
I explained to my solicitor:
“It’s a very low offer but a quick settlement.”
Those words weren’t about property strategy.
They were about survival.
This wasn’t an investor trying to maximise profit.
It was someone forced into sacrificing an asset simply to keep everything else from collapsing.
⸻
Trying to hold everything together
As the paperwork intensified, so did the emotional exhaustion.
I sent document after document to my mortgage consultant, trying desperately not to overlook anything.
At one point I wrote:
“My health is really bad at the moment, so if there’s anything I’ve missed or need to do, just keep reminding me as we proceed to the end of this process.”
I was asking someone to help me remember what still needed doing because the cumulative trauma had left me exhausted.
For years I had been expected to carry burdens that should never have been mine alone.
Now I was terrified that one missed signature or one forgotten form could cost me my home as well.
⸻
Someone actually responded
One detail stands out when I reread these emails.
My mortgage consultant responded almost immediately.
He replied:
“Thank you for this Vicki! I will get this sorted right away…”
It seems like such a small thing.
But after years of writing to regulators who delayed, redirected responsibility or simply failed to act, a straightforward response felt almost unfamiliar.
Here was someone acknowledging the information, taking ownership and moving the matter forward.
That was exactly what I had been pleading for from the statutory bodies responsible for enforcing compliance in my workers compensation claim.
⸻
“I’ve become really run down from stress”
After obtaining confirmation that my solicitor had received the $210,000 trust account transfer required for the security swap, I immediately forwarded it to the bank.
But even this simple administrative step carried another glimpse into what was happening behind the scenes.
I wrote:
“I’ve become really run down from stress now. I hope I’ve done everything I need to do from my end for the time being.”
Then, despite everything, I still found myself encouraging others.
I ended the email by writing:
“We all need to keep faith, hope and love alive.”
I was trying to keep hope alive for everyone else while quietly wondering how much longer I could keep going myself.
⸻
Every delay came with another financial cost
The financial pressure didn’t stop once the documents had been signed.
Settlement delays created new problems.
On 28 June 2022, I was trying to find ways to avoid further financial penalties.
I explained:
“Given personal circumstances, I hope I can avoid more cost financially if possible.”
To secure yet another settlement extension, it was suggested offering the Sydney vendor $10,000 compensation because the vendor had wanted settlement before the end of the financial year.
Without hesitation, I replied:
“Please … proceed as per suggestion in the email. I accept for such a suggestion to be put forward to the vendor.”
I wasn’t negotiating from strength. I was paying more simply to buy time.
Time that should never have been so expensive.
⸻
I genuinely believed things were about to improve
Earlier in the process, I had written to my solicitor:
“I’d rather my brother gain from a business transaction than I lose my secure home just as everything is about to turn around for me. Compliance is finally about to be enforced in another important area of my life.”
Reading those words now is heartbreaking.
I truly believed accountability was finally approaching.
I believed someone would eventually enforce the law.
I believed the financial damage would stop.
Instead, it accelerated.
⸻
This wasn’t a property story
It’s about regulatory failure made visible.
It shows what happens when statutory protections exist on paper but disappear in practice.
While regulators failed to enforce compliance, I was forced to liquidate investments, accept reduced offers, restructure loans, coordinate multiple professionals, negotiate settlement extensions and absorb escalating costs simply to keep a roof over my head.
This wasn’t a separate crisis running alongside my workers compensation claim.
It was the workers compensation claim.
The financial consequences had spread beyond the workplace and into every part of my life.
That is why I call this The Parallel Crisis.
Because while the system stood still, my life didn’t.
It unravelled…
While the institutional wage theft continued…
Source: contemporaneous record of events - Documents 411-414
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.